Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Email us
07904 810 156



Is a referral appropriate?

"I have some concerns about my child's speech and language but I don't know whether their difficulties are significant enough to need a referral. What should I do?"

If you are concerned seek advice. A Speech and Language Therapist will quickly be able to decide whether your child will benefit from specialist intervention, or will be able to provide general advice and strategies if specialist intervention is not necessary at the current time.

All children are eligible for a referral to speech and language therapy provided by their local NHS Trust. You can access NHS services by talking to your child's GP, Health Visitor or School Nurse, or by self-referral - see the local trust websites for details.

If you are considering independent speech and language therapy for your child and would like to know whether a referral to Away With Words is appropriate then get in touch. We are happy to talk things through with you over the phone, provide general information/strategies and advise whether a referral is necessary.

What should I expect from speech and language therapy for my child?

Once your child's referral has been accepted, on of our Speech and Language Therapists will contact you by phone to discuss your concerns in more detail and to arrange an initial assessment appointment.

The initial assessment will be agreed at a date and time convenient to suit you and will take place in your own home. It will involve an informal discussion with the therapist so that they can find out information about your child's general development and speech and language development. The therapist will either carry out informal assessment through play or may administer a formal assessment with your child depending on their age and the nature of their difficulty. The assessment results may be discussed with you during the initial appointment or by telephone afterwards within 2 days. An assessment report will be provided detailing results and recommendations.

If therapy is recommended it is then up to you to decide whether to go ahead with it. The type and frequency of therapy recommended will vary depending on your child's age and the nature of their difficulty. The therapist will discuss the options with you in detail. Some examples of what may be offered following initial assessment:

  • Further in depth assessment
  • Referral to another professional
  • An information and advice session followed by a review appointment
  • A block of therapy appointments

Aims of intervention will be discussed with you in detail.

All therapy will take place in your own home or in the child's school, subject to agreement by the school. It will be expected that whoever supports the child during therapy appointments - parent/carer or member of school staff will carry out advised strategies/activities with the child in between therapy appointments to ensure effectiveness.

Once your child has achieved the therapy aims, or once you/school staff are confident in supporting their speech, language and communication development, your child will be discharged from the service. This will be discussed with you in detail prior to discharge.

A report will be provided at point of discharge. Your child may be re-referred at any point in the future if new concerns arise.

How much will speech and language therapy cost?

Our fees vary according to the nature of the child's difficulty as this will dictate the amount and frequency of intervention.

Initial assessments are charged at £90 for an hour appointment and provision of a detailed report.

The cost of a therapy appointment is £70 inclusive of travel and all adminstration linked to the intervention.

Can my child receive independent speech therapy whilst being seen by the NHS?

Yes, all children are eligible for referral to speech and language therapy within their local NHS trust. It is the responsibility of the parent/carer to inform the independent therapist if the child is receiving, or is on a waiting list for NHS therapy, and to inform the NHS therapist of any independent therapist involvement. With your consent, our therapist will then ensure communication with the NHS therapist to ensure the best possible service for your child.

Can therapy be provided in our school?

"We are a school considering commissioning independent speech and language therapy. How do we find out more information?"

We are confident in the services we provide to schools and invite you to discuss this first hand with a senior member of staff at any of the schools we provide a service to.

If you would like to discuss the possibility of independent speech and language therapy for your school, or your school cluster, we would be happy to arrange an initial consultation meeting, free of charge and without obligation. Our Lead Therapist can visit you at school at a time that is convenient for you and provide some more detailed information.

Please contact Lauren Green (Lead Therapist) on 07904 810 156 to arrange a discussion with one of our current schools, or to arrange an initial consultation for your school/cluster. Alternatively, you can fill in our quick online enquiry form which can be found on the home page.

Can I decide to stop treatment?

"What if I want to cease speech and langauge therapy treatment for my child?"

You can discontinue your child's speech and language therapy care at any point - please inform your speech therapist if you wish to do so.

If the therapist considers there to be any risk in withdrawing intervention this will be discussed with you to allow you to make an informed decision.

Will confidential information about my child be stored securely?

"What confidential information abut my child will be held by Away With Words Children's Speech and Language Therapy and how do I know it is secure?"

Confidential information regarding your child's DOB, address, medical history, family history, social circumstances and and speech and language intervention provided, will be recorded by your speech therapist in your child's record. Away With Words adheres to strict policies regarding the protection of confidential information as laid out by the General Data Protection Regulations and Information Comissioner's Office

Please contact Lauren Green (Data Protection Officer) on 07904 810 156 if you would like to discuss this further.

Can I access my child's speech and languge therapy records?

"I would like to be able to read the information that is being recorded about my child. Is this possible and what do I need to do?"

Every client has he right to access their own health records or the records of their child. You can do so by submitting a written request addressed to the following:

FAO Data Protection Officer
Away With Words Ltd
Children's Speech and Language Therapy
12 West Avenue
BD17 5HA